Fertility NZ is a registered charity dedicated to providing information, support and advocacy to people experiencing fertility issues.

Viewing 1 to 3 (3 Total)
Mini / Mild IVF

rose2friends

Total Posts: 1
Joined: September 27, 2016

Has Anyone done Mini / Mild IVF ? I recently heard of this option versus traditional IVF. Anyone in Auckland get a done? Any thoughts, comments, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:
Posted on January 7, 2017 at 9:24 PM

john

Total Posts: 8
Joined: July 18, 2012

Re: Mini / Mild IVF

I think all the clinics in NZ will offer mild stimulation for IVF for private treatment if requested. It will not be cost effective for public treatment in most cases, since the aim of public treatment is to maximise your chance of a baby within acceptable safety limits.

In general ovarian stimulation for IVF in NZ is milder than in the USA, and more like that in Europe and Australia.

Some people consider alternatives to conventional stimulation because they do not respond well to conventional stimulation. In this case it is about using cheaper drugs to try to obtain a similar outcome, since it is the woman's ovarian reserve which is limiting response to drugs.

It is important to remember that it can be difficult to control the number of eggs the body produces in response to ovarian stimulation drugs - halving the dose doesn't halve the number of eggs. Most people have a threshold below which the drugs don't have any effect, while above the threshold there is not much control over the number of follicles that grow. There is also a lot of variation from one IVF cycle to the next in the same woman using the same dose of drugs and the same stimulation protocol. As a rule of thumb, you can expect to get the same number of eggs the in next IVF cycle plus or minus 3 80% of the time. This means that if you got 8 eggs the first time, you still have a 10% chance of getting more than 11 (=8+3) the next time, and a 10% chance of getting fewer 5 (=8-3) the next time.

Hope this helps. John Peek, Moderator.

Posted on January 15, 2017 at 11:18 PM

ananyamruga

Total Posts: 1
Joined: December 12, 2019

Re: Mini / Mild IVF

A single egg grows and matures in ovarian follicles during a normal monthly reproductive cycle. If a female’s hormones reach a certain level, the mature egg is released from the ovaries and available for fertilization. In a stimulated IVF cycle, a female takes some medications to stimulate both of her ovaries to egg development and mature multiple egg follicles. In this stimulation phase, a fertility specialist will monitor the patient with bloodwork and ultrasounds to track the growth of the follicles until they reach a specific size.

A fertility specialist can perform an ovulation stimulation procedure to retrieve the eggs from the follicles. The retrieved eggs are fertilized in a lab and then choose the best embryo to transfer it to the woman’s uterus. High-quality embryos can be frozen in a lab for future use.
In the natural cycle IVF, no medications are used to stimulate the ovaries. The cycle can only produce one mature egg. Patients are monitored with bloodwork and ultrasounds to track the single ovarian follicle development.

The patient gets the same type of egg retrieval treatment is done in a stimulated IVF cycle to retrieve the egg from a follicle. If the egg retrieval is successful, then the same procedure is done in a natural cycle IVF to fertilize the egg. If an embryo is developed, then the doctor will place that embryo into the female’s uterus.

Natural cycle IVF and traditional IVF procedures are the same. The difference between the natural cycle IVF and traditional IVF is the patient didn’t take any medications to stimulate multiple eggs developments in a Natural Cycle IVF.

Posted on December 12, 2019 at 11:26 PM

Please log in to report any forum abuse.